SoGEA in Layman's terms
SoGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access) is a new way of getting high-speed internet without needing a traditional phone line. In the past, when you wanted internet service, you had to order both a phone line and broadband separately. But with SoGEA, you can get both services at the same time, without the need for a phone line.
Think of it like this: imagine you have a house with two different pipes—one for water and one for electricity. In the past, if you wanted both water and electricity, you had to install separate pipes for each. But with SoGEA, you can have a single pipe that brings both water and electricity into your house. It’s simpler and more convenient.
SoGEA works in a similar way. It allows you to have your internet connection delivered directly over the network, without the need for a physical phone line. This can make the whole process easier. You don’t have to worry about having an unused phone line or dealing with separate orders for broadband and phone services.
So, in simple terms, SoGEA is a way to get high-speed internet without needing a phone line. This makes it more convenient and straightforward for you to connect to the internet at home.
So what are the downsides?
Well your old phones won’t work anymore unless you have an adapter. In addition if you have a power failure you will need some form of battery backup for the phones and your broadband router.
Is SoGEA fibre and will I get higher speeds?
Sadly the answer to both is NO! Unfortunately there are some outfits out there that are selling it on that basis. The fact remains that your service is still running on copper and if you have poor broadband, nothing much will change.
But if I’m losing the phone service won’t that free up capacity?
You would think so, given that ADSL2+ only uses around 10-15% of the total bandwidth, but at this time there doesn’t seem to be any plans to use the remaining 85% which is a shame
So when is the big switch off?
2025 is the date given by OpenReach